Monday, March 4, 2013

Breaking The Chains



"Has the whole world gone crazy," Donny asked. "Why would anyone want to kill Bobbie? She's never done anything to anyone."

""Well," I said, " I guess it's like the Tall Whites told her and John. Bobbie is going to be a great leader someday, the Greys know it and they're hoping to change the future by killing her before she can become that great leader."

"But how can they know that?" Donny asked.

"The Tall Whites told Steve and I that the Greys were disrupting the dimensions," Wooley said.

"Yes," Donny argued, "Dimensions, but not time travel."

"But," Steve added, "when they sent us home we ended up in the past. Wooley and I remember all kinds of stuff that none of the rest of you remember but we saw you experience."

"What kind of stuff?" Donny asked.

"Like you being kidnapped by the Aliens," Steve said.

"I was kidnapped by the Aliens?" Donny asked.

"You sure were," Wooley confirmed. "It took you several weeks to escape from them. They kidnapped Fred too."

"How come we don't remember that?" Fred asked.

"Because for you it's in the future," Steve answered.

"Are you saying Fred and I are going to get kidnapped by the Aliens?" Donny asked.

"Not necessarily," I said. "Now that we know it's in their future plans we've got a chance to do something about it."

"So what do we do about Bobbie?" John asked. "Next time we might not be so lucky."

"For starters," I said, "Bobbie and I are going to trade cell phones."

"You think they're tracking my phone?" Bobbie asked.

"More than likely?" I said.

"But won't that put you in danger?" Bobbie asked.

"Yeah," I said, "but that's where the rest of you come in."

"I've been around long enough to see where this is going," Fred said, "Somebody is baiting a trap. And as a Federal agent I probably don't need to know what you're about to do."

"See you around, Fred," I said.

"You just be careful," Fred said as he walked out the door. "And if you get caught I don't know you."

"It's a deal," I smiled.

_________

I was thinking of someone far away, someone who sends me poems and makes me feel good about myself even though I know her poems aren't really written for me. Atlanta isn't that far and yet life has been such a struggle in recent years that neither of us has been able to travel the 350 miles or so to actually meet one another even though we'd both wanted to for years.


You see, as much as I loved to travel, most of my travels have always been about work, involving tight schedules and tighter routes. Going off schedule or off route was simply too time consuming and too expensive to allow myself the tiniest of pleasures. Live had always been that way and despite the fact that my partners and I had promised ourselves that our own business would never become like all the other businesses we had worked for in the past, keeping promises made to ourselves are most often the hardest to keep.

I couldn't help but be at least somewhat worried as I waited for the doctor to call and tell me the results of my recent Doppler echo-cardiogram which I already knew weren't picture perfect. Maybe I just needed to walk more.

__________

Most Alien encounters never involve actual aliens. Most are made possible by humans who are either brainwashed and controlled by the Greys or the traitors who would sell us out to fulfill their own personal greed. Usually, the latter is most often the case and today would be no different. I had planned to be the one carrying Bobbie's cell phone but my brother wouldn't hear of it, "You're not well," he said, "let me do the heavy lifting."

Knowing I'd have to whip him to change his mind I gave in. Besides, While it's true that I used to get my way by whipping him when we were kids, I wouldn't dare tangle with him these days. My advanced age-- my advantage all those many years ago is now my disadvantage and our rolls have somewhat reversed. Oh well, I can't say he hasn't earned his place. Even to this day he's like Boxer, the horse from George Orwell's Animal Farm, the most loyal, dedicated, faithful and strong among us-- the one who believes any problem can be solved if he only works harder.

Donny would ride the Wackemall 750, the fastest in our fleet. I would bring up the rear in my Dodge Ram, the oldest in the fleet with its homemade steel reinforced bumpers. Steve and Wooley would bring up the sides in their trucks and John would drive just in front of Donny in a pick-up specially modified just for the occasion. With motorcycle crash helmets and homemade body armor made from steel we headed for the Interstate.

Bobbie? She rode with me where she could serve as rear guard and operate a few special weapons if the need arose.

Continue to Moondance