Friday, February 15, 2013

Wack 'Em All

"What kind of fish you reckon these are?" Wooley asked as he took a bite.

"I don't know," Steve answered, "They look like piranha but I wouldn't know."

"They'd be a whole lot better if they were cooked," Wooley said.

"What?" Steve asked, "You don't like sushi?"

"Don't know," Wooley munched, "ain't never tried it. I'm just glad we caught these."

"Yeah," Steve grinned, "before they caught us."

"So where do you think this canal goes?" Wooley asked.

"Well," Steve answered, "according to my compass which mysteriously started working again, it goes east and west."

"So by going east we could get back to Burlington?" Wooley asked.

"Maybe," Steve said, "If it doesn't turn and if we're not already too far north or south of Greensboro starting out. And if we don't walk right under Burlington without ever knowing we missed it."

"We're already lost," Wooley said, "been that way for days."

"You're right," Steve agreed, "let's start walking."

_____

Veggie hardly ever left his recliner any more. I knew his time with us wouldn't be long. Despite the addition of several more grow lamps and daily doses of Miracle Grow and lime he just continued to get weaker. Of course, considering the fact that he'd already died one death it was amazing he was still alive at all. To make him feel better, Bobbie cut a 55 gallon drum in half and planted his feet and legs in rich, organic potting soil promising to move him out into the sun come early Spring. I don't know if she noticed but his foliage seemed to take on a deeper green when she was around.



The Alien attacks were continuing. No longer were they disguising themselves as humans. For whatever reason they appeared to be getting desperate, rushed and in a hurry to make things happen. We couldn't be sure if we had somehow touched a nerve or if they were just getting desperate to fire their rockets and blast off and we were in the way.

"There's only one thing you can do," the motorcycle told me.

"What's that?" I asked.

"The same thing Veggie always did," the Veggicycle replied.

"And that was?" I asked.

He answered by reciting another poem http://cyclemuse.blogspot.com/2013/02/wack-em-all.html from the many poems http://cyclemuse.blogspot.com/search/label/poetry he would eventually come to tell us.

"Each twist and turn a wiggly worm,
the road laid out before me
and though I might soon die of fright
the road would never bore me.
Through hill and dale, highway and trail..."

"So you think that's the answer?" I asked.

"That's what Veggie always did," the motorcycle answered. "Don't just wack 'em, wack 'em all."

"But Veggie lost," I said, "I was there. I recorded his story, http://www.vegetablestalker.com I saw him fall."

"You're right," the Veggiecycle replied, "but he fell, he didn't give up. Veggie Head Stalker wacked 'em all until he could wack no more."

"Don't just wack 'em, wack 'em all." Donny and Bobbie repeated from behind me.

_____

"Well I guess this explains why we never found a vent pipe," Steve said.

"It does?" Wooley asked. "Why's that?"

"Well," Steve explained,"With all these miles and miles of canals and tunnels down here there's plenty of space to blow off the vacuum without venting it to the storm drains."

"So we were just wasting our time," Wooley said.

"Looks that way," Steve said.

"So how long do you think it took to build all this?" Wooley asked.

"I don't know but one thing's for certain," Steve replied, "they've been here a lot longer than we've been here. This stuff looks like it's been here for hundreds of years."

"So maybe we're the Aliens?" Wooley wondered.

"I don't know," Steve said, "but it don't matter, we can't just let them wipe us all out."

Continue to Just Barge On In