Thursday, January 31, 2013

Old Dogs New Tricks


The Aliens weren't making life any easier. While our team was working to save Greensboro's trees from the evil Duke, the Aliens were forcing us to expend our energy on trumped up political scandals against the few humans left on City Council. Every time an attempt was made to save the city, some absurd charge was bounced around in the media with the Tall Whites and the Greys always claiming the upper hand. Finally, Veggie, Bobbie, Wooley and Steve managed to break free and head for the airport.

______

Donny had been poked, prodded, examined and otherwise invaded to the point that the next time he saw an alien he dreamed of hitting it right between the eyes then making a run for it even though he had no idea where he was being held. And he wanted a cup of coffee, dammit. It had been weeks since he had a cup of coffee and Donny gets ill when he doesn't get at least a pot of coffee a day.

As had become routine, an alien came into his room to feed him right on time but unlike before, Donny had managed to work free from his restraints. As the Alien walked up to him Donny noticed it was carrying a bag from Fincastles Diner. Donny could smell the hamburger and knew he had to be in Downtown Greensboro as there is only one Fincastles. He waited until the alien came closer then with both hands clinched together he punched the alien right between the eyes knocking him to the floor!

The alien started to rise but before it could get up Donny was stomping on it with both feet again and again until it was either dead or unconscious. He turned to run towards the door, stopped and said, "That's the first descent food they've brought me since I've been here." He picked up the bag from Fincastles and ran towards the door.

When he entered the hall he realized he was lost. With no windows anywhere Donny didn't know if he was upstairs, downstairs or on a ground floor. All he knew to do was run. He ran down the hall until he heard voices, ducked into a closet and hid. Time for lunch.

_______

I had shoveled all I was going to shovel. Despite the fact that there was a huge 20' snow bank between me and the road I was planning on riding the Wackemall 750 off the mountain that day if it killed me. And kill me it might. I left most of my gear on the mountain as I was only a few hours from home and said goodbye to the giant dog. He looked at me as if he knew I was leaving, walked over to where the campfire had almost burned itself out, laid a piece of wood in the coals and laid down.

I fired up the motorcycle and allowed the engine to warm up. "Are you ready for this?" I asked.

"Ready," the motorcycle replied.

"It might cause some pain when you crash that snow bank," I warned.

"I'm sure you can handle it," the motorcycle said.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," I laughed.

_______



Veggie and Bobbie approached the guards who were watching the Wackemall Inc jet. "Can I help you?" one of the guards asked.

"We heard there's a jet for sale in that hangar," Bobbie smiled as she pointed to the hanger beside the hanger were the Wackemall jet was stored.

"We wouldn't know anything about that, Ma'am," the guard said pointing to the other hangar. "We're assigned to guard this other jet."

"Hey wait," the second guard shouted pointing at Wooley and Steve as they ran into the hangar, "where are those guys going?"

The guards turned to chase them but when they did a vine sprouted from Veggie's leg, wrapped around both of the guard's legs and tripped them both to the ground. Seconds later the Wackemall jet blasted out of the hanger with Steve and Wooley at the controls. "I think I'm getting the hang of this!" Steve shouted.

"I think you're supposed to exit the hangar before you go airborne!" Wooley shouted back.

"I'll try and remember that next time," Steve laughed.

"You do that," Wooley grumbled. "Now keep her down low enough so I can see the highway and don't fly too close to PTI as we go past.

Continue to Butchers and Wild Mountain Bikers.