Friday, January 25, 2013

Missing Pieces



Donnie was at Bobbie's house early the next morning knocking on her door even before she got out of bed. When she answered the door he said, "I called Billy this morning. He told me to bring you something."

"What is it?" Bobbie asked rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"It's in the truck," Donny said. "Let me go get it."

Donny came back with a big cardboard box, carried it inside and handed it to Bobbie who then placed it on the floor and opened it only to be shocked when a little red rooster jumped from the box. "On my goodness," Bobbie exclaimed, "a chicken. Why did Billy want me to have a chicken?"

"It's a rooster."

"Okay, why did Billy want me to have a rooster?"

"Say hello to Andy, the Alarm Rooster," Donny said.

"An alarm rooster?"

"Don't ask me how," Donny said, "but somehow Billy trained Andy, the Alarm Rooster to crow his head off whenever people come around that aren't supposed to be here."

"Your brother does a lot of strange things," Bobbie said.

"You're telling me," Donny agreed.

"So am I supposed to keep him in my house," Bobbie grimaced looking at the fresh chicken poop on her floor.

"No," Donny smiled, "We'll fix him a perch to sleep on in your garage at night. In the daytime he can just run around your yard."

"Will he fly away?"

"Not if you feed him."

"So what does he eat?" she asked.

"Anything you'll eat," he replied, "plus bugs, worms and chicken feed."

"Well where am I going to get chicken feed?" Bobbie asked.

"I brought some with me," Donny replied. "When you run out you can pick up more at the Compare Foods Store down the street. Save the receipt and the company will pay for it."

"So how much do I feed Andy, the Alarm Rooster?" Bobbie asked as she opened the back door to let him out of the house.

"All he can eat," Donny answered.

_____

When they got to the shop that morning Veggie was waiting on them, "I've been going through these computer files Bobbie got from the Aliens and it's not looking good."

"What's the problem?" Donny asked.

"Well apparently the aliens have learned how to remotely control an everyday household item and use it as a weapon," Veggie said.

"What kind of household item?" Bobbie asked.

"Well that's the problem," Veggie explained. "No where that I can find does it ever say what the item is."

"Let's all three of us spend some time looking through those files," Donny suggested, "You might have missed something."

"Good idea," Veggie agreed.

______

That night, while Donny was asleep in his bed, something started going on in his kitchen.

Continue to Loose Ends.