Thursday, January 10, 2013

Men In Black

After we returned from Kentucky I got a call from my old friend, Fred Gregory. As a retired Federal Agent, Fred had some concerns about Joe's popcorn cannon. I had had a couple of run-ins with Fred during my younger days but I understood Fred's biggest concern was that a potential dangerous weapon might fall into the wrong hands. Fred also worries that I might revert back to my old ways and as a friend doesn't want to see me get in trouble. I assured Fred it would be okay and just to make him feel better I invited him to come to the shop where Steve had just finished building our very own popcorn cannon which we planned to test fire for the first time later that same day.

Steve explained to Fred that while the popcorn cannon could be used to fire shrapnel, the range and velocity are both too low to make effective weapons. Steve noted that when Adam used the popcorn cannon in Kentucky the only damage was broken glass, paint scratches and dented fenders caused by scared drivers running into each other while trying to turn around 3 vans in a space big enough for one. After seeing the popcorn balls disintegrate in flight during test firings, Fred was somewhat convinced the popcorn cannon would make a better bird feeder than a weapon. As a matter of fact, he ordered on for himself. "I want to buy serial number 001," Fred proudly declared.

Fred also came needing a favor. Back in his days as an active Federal agent, Fred and his bosses had sometimes worked with Wackemall Inc management on special projects that Congress wouldn't finance or the Agency didn't want the public to know about. In return, Wackemall and other corporations were allowed to do things they might not usually be allowed to do. Rank and file agents like Fred didn't often agree with much of what corporations like Wackemall were allowed to get away with but they were given no choice in the matter. You see, what binds Fred and I together today is our knowing that just as bikers can never walk away from being bikers, federal agents can never walk away from being federal agents. Even in retirement we are subject to be called back to active duty until the day we die.

We agreed to work with Fred any way we could and assured Fred we wouldn't be taking Wackemall Inc. back in its former direction. Of course, I would have never entered into such an arrangement had I not known Fred wasn't the type of agent to go rouge and drag the entire nation downward. Fred produced a video that had been smuggled out of Russia. After watching it we knew what we had to do.


Continue to Tall Whites.