Tuesday, January 15, 2013

First Time

Things were starting to get back to normal around the shop. Fred was spending most of his time at home with his wife and Veggie spent most of his days in the office sleeping on a recliner under a grow lamp. We couldn't tell as he was getting any bigger but Veggie said at his age it made the winter weather easier to manage and being we figured he'd earned the right we served him the occasional glass of Miracle Grow and allowed him to sleep it off in peace.

Making fun of the Tall White Aliens had become a regular Greensboro pastime that had spread to Burlington and beyond. No one was really worried about them any more as they appeared to be addicted to the very Greensboro tap water that was driving their stupidity. Area bloggers and even the Greensboro News & Record reporters and editors regularly poked fun at the Tall Whites despite the fact that the newspaper was controlled by the Tall Whites. You could read the jokes on the newspaper's own blogs when the N&R website wasn't down because some kid in Kernersville unplugged the Internet server in his mom and dad's spare bedroom.

Katei started visiting a lot bringing us the latest news about Jeff Martin's trial and other goings on in Downtown Greensboro. At first I thought she might be interested in me and was flattered but concerned that it simply wouldn't ever work out as Katei is in fact younger than my recently deceased son, Jason. Of course, that wasn't the case and I was a foolish old man to think so. What had really gotten Katei's attention was motorcycles and before long we all noticed she was spending lots of time learning everything she could soak in about the many bikes in our shop.

It was one day when I saw her talking to the Wackemall 750 that I heard the motorcycle recite a poem to her. 

"Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Motorcycles are fun
like fishing and zoos..."


"That is so sweet," Katei smiled, "Are you asking me to take you for a ride?" she said to the motorcycle.

"If you'd like to go I'd be happy to take you," the motorcycle replied.

"I've never been asked out by a motorcycle before," Katei grinned.

"I've never rode a girl around before," the Veggicycle answered.

"So this would be like a first time for both of us," Katei said.

"I guess so."

"See you later," Katei shouted gaining our attention as she saddled the Wackemall 750.

"Wait a minute," I asked, "where do you think you're going?"

"We're going riding," Katei laughed.

"See you tomorrow," the Veggicycle said.

"Tomorrow," I asked, "but how am I going to get home tonight?"

"You can ride my skateboard!" Katei shouted as they roared away.

"Don't worry," the motorcycle said, "I know the way back.

"Wow" Steve said as they rode out of sight. "Talk about bad luck, you just got pitched by your own motorcycle."

"It could only happen to me," I said wondering if I could even ride a skateboard at my age. Donny and Wooley could only shake their heads.

Continue to First Love.