Tuesday, January 15, 2013

First Love

Katei brought the Wackemall 750 back the next day, full of fuel, oil changed, chrome and aluminum polished and cleaner than it had been before she rode it away. "Wow," I exclaimed, "did you pay somebody to detail it? I never get my bikes cleaned up that good."

"No," Katei explained, "my friends and I cleaned it up. Seemed like the least we could do."

"Woah," Wooley stopped as he was walking past. "Maybe we could open that bike detailing shop our customers have been asking us to do and hire Katei and her friends to work for us."

"I don't think we could afford Katei," I said. "Katei is a search engine optimization guru with Link Fish Media.  I'm more worried about her hiring you away from us."

"Really," Wooley said, "Young, good looking and has a good job. It's amazing someone hasn't already snapped her up."

"Somebody already has," the motorcycle said.

"Really," Wooley asked, "who?"

"Me," the Veggicycle answered.

I walked Katei to the door where her skateboard was parked before I said a word. I must admit, I would have never seen this coming in a million years. Very gently I looked Katei straight into her eyes and asked, "Sweetheart, what kind of spell have you cast on my motorcycle?"

"I don't know," Katei whimpered. "I needed some money fast so I rode him downtown to let him do some busking and I called up my girlfriends and they all came over and we washed and polished him up from one end to the other while the tourists listened to him recite his poetry and tell jokes. The next thing I knew he was talking about spending forever with me. I didn't know what to tell him."

"I can see where you would be confused," I nodded, "I don't guess you had any college classes dealing with machine to human relations, did you?"

"No," Katei smiled, "not a one."

"That's better," I grinned. "Go on home and we'll figure out a way to snap him out of it."

"Are you sure?"

"No, but that's the best answer I can come up with for now.

For the next two weeks the Veggicycle talked about Katei non stop, night and day. Trying to ride him was a nightmare as no matter where any of us tried to go, the motorcycle would attempt to turn towards Greensboro to go visit Katei forcing myself, Wooley, Steve or Donny to wrestle him back in the right direction. One day, while parked in the shop the motorcycle managed to turn its own key and crank itself. Thanks to Donny's speedy reactions we managed to get the bay doors closed and the engine shut off before the Wackemall 750 rode away on its own. Finally, when we could stand no more and despite screaming, yelling and horn blowing from the old motorcycle, Wooley and Steve managed to disconnect the battery cables and put a stop to the nonsense.

Continue to Button Me Up.