Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mutant Measures


Bobbie sprang from her bed just a little after 3 in the morning! Andy, the Alarm Rooster was crowing his head off. She looked out her window to see a woman looking somewhat disturbed and frightened standing by a tree as if she were hiding herself from the street but not from the house. Bobbie decided to investigate. "Who are you?" Bobbie asked as she cracked open the door, her foot planted firmly behind it.

"I'm Alex of Mutanthouse" the woman replied. Her accent was unlike most people Bobbie knew. "My real name is Alexandra Von Streer Henderson."

"What do you want?" Bobbie asked.

"I'm looking for Bobbie Sonner," the woman said, "I heard she lives here."

"Who are you hiding from?" Bobbie asked.

"The Aliens," Alex replied.

"Why would you need to hide from aliens?" Bobbie asked.

"Because I've come to help Bobbie and the others fight the Aliens," Alex answered. "And if they find out they'll kill me even before we get started."

"But if you from the Mutanthouse in High Point, why would you want to help us?" Bobbie asked.

"Because the Aliens made us like we are then cast us out to die," Alex replied. They left us with nothing, no money, no food, no shelter, no clothes, no hope... They told us we were a failed experiment, animals, not fit to stay with them anymore."

"So you've been inside the Alien's building?" Bobbie asked.

"I was born in the basement of that building," Alex confirmed. "I grew up in it with dozens more just like me. We used to play all over it. I know everything about the Aliens."

"How many other mutants will help us?" Bobbie asked.

"All of them," Alex answered. "Every single one."

"Hello," Bobbie said as she opened the door to let Alex into her house, "I'm Bobbie Sonner and that little guy out back is Andy. Andy, the Alarm Rooster."

"How did you ever teach him to do that?" Alex asked.

"I don't know," Bobbie replied, "He was like that when I got him."

__________

"So when we find this pipe and go inside," Wooley asked, "How are we going to take out the rocket?"

"I don't know. Save that for another trip," Steve answered. "First things first. First we got to find our way in."

"You think we ever will?" Wooley asked.

"I sure hope so," Steve said. "Veggie got his hands on some maps of the storm drains, sewers and underground utilities. I'm hoping he finds something before we have to crawl through every storm drain in Greensboro looking for a connection to that silo."

"I'm hoping it doesn't rain while we're down here," Wooley said. "These pipes fill up in a hurry."

"Yeah, that too," Steve agreed.

________

Bobbie gathered Katei and Carole and introduced them to Alex. "Alex and I have a plan," Bobbie said.

"Great," Katei said.

"How can we help?" Carole asked.

"To start with," Bobbie said, "Go talk to Lynn Johnson  and tell her we need every musician with an amplifier or a PA system that we can find. Then start rounding up every musician and every amp you can get to help us."

________

I know it's a tired old phrase, but off in the distance a storm was brewing. And the Aliens would have to wait.

Continue to Sick Days.