Thursday, December 20, 2012

Wackemall 750



"So tell me, what kind of motorcycle are you?" I was thinking I might have some fun at the prankster's expense but I was totally unprepared for his answer.

"I'm a Wackemall 750," the old motorcycle replied proudly.

"Well you look like a 650 Yamaha. And there was only one Wackemall 750 ever made and I knew the man who made it."

"Really," the old motorcycle asked, "then perhaps you and I met many years ago before Veggie Head Stalker died?"

"Not the crazy green guy!" Donny shouted. "How many times did he almost get you killed? I remember Momma crying every time the two of you rode off on another crazy adventure. Take that bike back to the scrap yard and tell 'em they can have it back for free." Steve and Wooley only stared not knowing what to say.

Little brother's memories of Veggie weren't as fond as my own probably because Veggie and I often returned with broken bones and other life threatening injuries but looking back I wouldn't have traded my days as Veggie's side kick and scribe for anything in the world. My family never knew what we did except that it was dangerous. Veggie died a horrible death at the hands of Montanto and the legendary Veggicycle, aka, the Wackemall 750 was presumed destroyed in the attack on Veggie's life. I only regret I wasn't there to fight them to the end. "Well," I said, "whoever planned this hoax was definitely planning it for me and me alone."

"You don't believe I'm the Wackemall 750?"

"The Wackemall 750 was a one of a kind motorcycle built by Veggie Head Stalker in 1938. It was years ahead of anything built by any motorcycle manufacturer in the world. The 1955 Hosk 500 was an attempt to copy the Wackemall but much smaller. Hosk then designed a 650 cc version before selling out to Showa who then sold out to Yamaha who brought the design to market in 1968 as the XS650. You're an XS650 Yamaha."

"Sounds like you know a lot about XS650 Yamahas?" the old motorcycle asked.

"I own and ride an XS because it's the closest thing there ever was to the Wackemall. I do that in memory of Veggie."

"Got any spare XS parts?"

"Crates full of them."

"Pick any XS 650 part you like and try putting it on me," the old motorcycle said, "I promise you that while they look alike, none of them will fit. That's why my last 3 owners sold me back to the scrap yard."

"You've got a deal," I said as I started towards a pair of clutch and alternator covers I had laying on a work bench waiting to be polished. "You've got a deal."

Continue to American Made