Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Puzzles

Everything was a puzzle now. All the parts had been thoroughly tested with the most expensive test equipment known to Volvo Trucks-- equipment most bike builders could only dream of-- and nothing out of the ordinary could be found. That is, except for the fact that Veggie Head Stalker had used some of the best grades of metal in existence to build the Wackemall 750. As a matter of fact, some of those metals were not known to exist in 1938 when Veggie first built his one of a kind motorcycle leaving me to wonder if Veggie invented new metals or upgraded the Veggicycle years later. Funny thing was, in all the many years I rode with him I never knew him to do or have any work done on the Wackemall 750 with the exception of a few dozen worn out tires that were continually being replaced.

Now the Wackemall was a puzzle of pieces in crates on the trailer and a puzzle in that I had found nothing inside of it that would explain its ability to talk. I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps I had killed a living, thinking being of some sorts. But, knowing I'm sometimes subject to bouts of absurd paranoia I blew it off and figured there was probably some strange transistor or something built into the electrical parts themselves that managed the radio transmissions. I decided a trip to see my friend, Hugh Owens of Hughs Hand Built to have a special built permanent magnet alternator built to spec would be my best bet as I was reasonably certain my partners and I could adapt Toyota, Ford and GM parts to replace the ignition system just as we had already done on some other motorcycles. That would eliminate all the original electronics and any chance that something might still be hidden in the motorcycle. It would be good to see Hugh again.

Just to make sure the original electronics wouldn't be a problem for me and my partners, I air-mailed them to the train station in Tyumen, Siberia, Russia, care of me. Of course I'll never be going there so they'll never get picked up. That way, if they do blow up we'll get the KGB in on the investigation and they'll not be so likely to cover for Monsanto and the other big US. Multinationals. The other thing is, in the winter months, air-mail from the USA to Tyumen is usually 24 hours to Moscow and 2 weeks to 2 months on the trains to Tyumen where the temperature is -40 and the roads, port and the airport are frozen shut. If anyone is following the signal they will be very miserable by the time they get to where it's going and very puzzled as to why it went there. Besides, if they knew where it was they wouldn't dare blow it up lest they start an international incident and one hell of a big puzzle for the US government to explain.

Continue to Up In The Mountains of North Carolina